Peter has already described this epic day of riding in detail, so I won't duplicate his report except to confirm that it was a long, difficult ride. And it was entirely worth it.
Some photos (not chronological for some reason due to the Blogger app):
1. A hole in the Salar with water beneath. Salt fishing?
2. The four bikes on the Salar. Video will follow. There is a reason they break land speed records on salt flats.
3. Nathan's bike and my bike on the very rough road leading out to the Salar. At this point, somewhere back up the road, Peter was wrestling with the first flat of the day.
4. The road to Atocha after dark. Deep sand in parts made it tough going. This was something we'd fought all day. But we all emerged with only a small collective number of drop bikes and no injuries or major mechanical problems.
5. Washing the salt off the bikes. Absolutely essential.